Although many background computers ship with a certificate of deposit or DVD drive, that is n’t always the case. You can install one equally long as the computer has an capable slot for an external drive. This steer shows you how to install a four hundred drive. These instructions are valid for any human body of optical-based drives such as CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, and DVD burners. here ‘s the proper method acting to install an ATA-based optical drive in a background calculator using a Phillips screwdriver .
- Power down the personal computer completely. After the calculator has safely shut down, turn off the internal power by flipping the switch on the back of the might supply and removing the AC ability cord.
Reading: Installing a CD/DVD Drive
- Open the computer to install the cadmium or DVD repel. The method for opening the case varies depending upon your computer model. Most use a panel or door on the side of the calculator. Older computers may require you to remove the stallion blanket. Remove and set aside any screws that fasten the shroud or gore to the computer event and then remove the cover .
- Remove the drive slot cover. Most calculator cases have respective slots for external drives but only use a few. Any fresh drive slot has a binding that prevents debris from entering the calculator. Remove the 5.25-inch drive slot breed by pushing check either on the inside or outside of the case. sometimes a brood might be screwed into the font .
- Set the IDE drive modality. Most certificate of deposit and DVD drives for background computers use the IDE interface, which allows for two devices on a unmarried cable. Place each device on the cable into the allow manner. One drive is the primary, and the other drive is the secondary. One or more jumpers on the back of the drive normally handle this fructify. Consult the software documentation or diagrams on the drive for the location and settings .
If you plan to install the CD/DVD drive on an existing cable, set the drive to the secondary mode. If the drive will reside on an IDE cable alone, set it to the Primary mode .
You may besides run into some drives that use SCSI or SATA cable connections, excessively. While these are less coarse, if you have one of these drives, be certain to select the appropriate options .
seat the CD/DVD drive into the computer. The method for installing the drive varies depending on the subject. The two common methods for installing a tug are either through force rails or directly into the drive cage .
- Drive Rails: Position the drive rails on the side of the drive and fasten the rails with screws. Once you place the drive rails on both sides of the drive, slide the drive and rails into the appropriate slot. Affix the drive rails, so the drive is flush with the case when you fully insert it.
- Drive Cage: Slide the drive into the slot in the case, so the drive bezel is flush with the computer case. Fasten the drive to the computer case by placing screws into the appropriate slots or holes.
Read more : How to install Windows 10
- Attach the internal audio cable. To use CD/DVD drives to listen to music, the sound recording sign from the compact disk drive must route to the calculator sound recording solution. typically, a small two-wire cable with a standard connection handles this. Plug this cable into the bet on of the CD/DVD drive. then, plug the other goal into either a personal computer sound recording card or motherboard depending upon the computer ‘s audio setup. last, plug the cable into the connection labeled as four hundred Audio .
- Attach the CD/DVD drive to the calculator using an IDE cable. normally, the drive resides secondary to the heavily tug. If then, locate the barren connection on the IDE ribbon cable between the computer and the hard drive, then plug it into the drive. If the drive will be on its own cable, connect the IDE cable to the motherboard and one of the other connectors of the cable into the CD/DVD drive .
- Plug the driveway into the might add. Locate one of the 4-pin Molex connectors from the world power supply and insert it into the office connection on the CD/DVD drive .
- After you install the drive, close the calculator. Replace the panel or cover to the computer casing. Fasten the cover or control panel to the case using the screw you set aside when you removed the cover .
- Plug the AC cord into the exponent supply and flip the interchange to the On position.
Read more : How to install Windows 10
- The computer system should mechanically detect and use the newly drive. Since cadmium and DVD drives are standardized, you should n’t have to install any specific drivers. Consult the instruction manual that came with the drive for instructions for your particular operational system .