|C H A P T E R 1|
|Operating System Installation Overview|
This chapter contains information on what you need to do if you plan to install a raw operate on system on your Sun Fire X2100 M2 server .
This chapter contains the follow topics :
|Note – If you plan to use the Solaris 10 operate System ( OS ) that is preinstalled on the Sun Fire X2100 M2 server, see the Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server Installation Guide, 819-6589, for data on configuring the operate on system.|
Supported Operating Systems
The Solaris 10 6/06 operational system, or late interpretation, might be preinstalled on your server, depending on your hard drive configuration. If you do not plan to use the Solaris 10 OS preinstalled on your Sun Fire X2100 M2 server, you can install an operating system of your choose .
The watch minimal operating system versions are supported for the Sun Fire X2100 M2 server :
- Solaris 10 Operating System (6/06 or later)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (Update 7 or later) 32- and 64-bit (ES and AS)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, (Update 3 or later) 32- and 64-bit (ES and AS)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise System 9 (SP 3 or later), 32- and 64-bit
- SUSE Linux Enterprise System 10, 32- and 64-bit
- Windows Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise 32-bit (SP 1 or later) and 64-bit
(SP 0 or later)
You can order supported versions of Red Hat and SUSE operating systems from Sun at the following web site :
hypertext transfer protocol : //www.sun.com/software/linux/index.html
Instructions for installing these operating systems are provided in the media sets that are packaged with the operate on arrangement software .
documentation for extra operate on systems will be available after the initial spill of the Sun Fire X2100 M2 waiter. The most recent supported operating systems and certifications can be found at the adopt url :
hypertext transfer protocol : //www.sun.com/servers/entry/x2100/os.jsp
The diagnostic partition is preinstalled on the Sun Fire X2100 M2 waiter. If, for some cause, the diagnostic division has been removed from the server, refer to the Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server Service Manual, 819-6591 , for data on how to reinstall the diagnostic partition from the Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server Tools and Drivers CD .
Operating System Installation Tasks
The watch is an overview of the procedures that are needed to install a new operational system ( OS ) .
1. Set up the display environment .
If you are not using the optional DVD drive for preparing the system for OS facility and installing the OS, see Accessing the Server Output During Installation
2. Erase the primary boot harrow .
If you have an operate on system preinstalled on the server, you will need to remove it before installing a raw operating system. See Erasing the Primary Boot Hard Disk .
3. Set up the BIOS .
You need to make indisputable that the BIOS is set up for the operate on system that you plan to install. See Setting up the BIOS for Operating System Installation .
4. Install the operating organization .
See the chapter in this text file that corresponds to the engage system that you plan to install .
5. Configure your server for RAID .
If you plan to configure your server for RAID operation, you will need to perform some setup tasks before installing the function system. See Configure Your System for RAID .
6. Install the operate system, update the drivers, and run operate organization updates, as necessary. See Choosing an operate System Installation Method and the chapter that corresponds to the operating arrangement that you want to install .
Preparing for OS Installation
The topics in this section describe how to prepare your server for operate system initiation :
Accessing the Server Output During Installation
If you are not using the local DVD driveway and monitor for the Tools and Drivers CD or OS initiation compact disk, you have two options for your display environment :
- View system output serially, through the Embedded Lights Out Manager (LOM) service processor (SP) SSH or through the physical port.
See the Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server Installation Guide, 819-6589, for instructions on viewing arrangement output through the serial comfort, using the Embedded LOM SP .
- Use the remote KVMS Over IP feature of the Embedded LOM
See the Embedded Lights Out Manager Administration Guide, 819-6588 , for instructions on setting up the remote control KVMS Over IP for virtual four hundred operation .
Erasing the Primary Boot Hard Disk
By default, the Sun Fire X2100 M2 servers have Solaris 10 installed on the hard drive. If you want to install a different engage organization or reinstall the Solaris 10 function system, use the Erase Primary Boot Hard Disk choice on the Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server Tools and Drivers CD main menu, which enables you to erase previously installed operating systems to make room for the fresh facility .
|Caution – Selecting the Erase Primary Boot Hard Disk option from the Tools and Drivers CD erases all partitions on the hard drive, with the exception of the diagnostic division. All user data is lost. Be sure to back up all data on the hard drive before performing this action .|
To erase the primary boot hard disk :
1. Back up all data that you want to save on the arduous drive .
2. Insert the Tools and Drivers CD into the server ‘s optional DVD drive .
3. Boot the server from the candle .
4. When the main menu appears, select the pursue option from the Tools and Drivers CD main menu :
3. Erase Primary Boot Hard Disk
This choice erases all partitions presently located on the primary hard driveway, except for the diagnostic partition. If the diagnostic partition is present, it remains untouched .
Setting up the BIOS for Operating System Installation
If you plan to install an manoeuver system on the Sun Fire X2100 M2 waiter, you need to make certain that the BIOS is set up correctly before you install the software. See the routine that matches the operate system you plan to install .
Setting up the BIOS for a Solaris 10 or a Linux OS
The default for the Installed O/S option is Others. If the default has not been changed, you do not need to perform this apparatus for the for a Solaris or Linux operating system .
If the BIOS Installed O/S option has been changed from the default, do the follow for Solaris 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4 and SUSE Linux Enterprise System .
To set up the BIOS for Solaris or Linux initiation :
1. Power on the waiter and imperativeness the F2 cardinal at the Sun logo sieve to enter the BIOS Setup menu .
2. Select the Advanced tab, then select ACPI Configuration .
3. Change the Installed O/S choice to Others .
4. Press the F10 key to save your changes and exit the BIOS .
Setting up the BIOS for Windows Server 2003 OS
To set up the BIOS for Windows Server 2003 initiation :
Read more : Why You Can’t Install Programs Windows 10
1. Power on the server and press the F2 key at the Sun logo screen to enter the BIOS Setup menu .
2. Select the Advanced check, then select ACPI Configuration .
3. Change the Installed O/S option to Windows .
4. Press the F10 key to save your changes and exit the BIOS .
Configure Your System for RAID
See the pursue sections for Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server RAID options :
RAID Support Using the NVIDIA NVRAID
The onboard NVIDIA NVRAID alone supports the Windows OS for a truthful hardware RAID. Refer to Chapter 4 for information on configuring a Windows server to use NVIDIA RAID .
RAID Support Using LSI SAS3041E-R PCIe Card
You can purchase an optional LSI PCIe circuit board to enable RAID 0 and RAID 1, which is supported for all operational systems for the SAS and SATA hard disks. Refer to the Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server Service Manual for instructions on install and cabling the LSI PCIe card. The keep up is needed for LSI RAID defend :
- LSI SAS3041E-R card and cables installed
- 2 SATA or SAS hard disks
consult to the chapter that corresponds to the operate system that you want to install for foster details on configuring foray into :
Choosing an Operating System Installation Method
The follow is an overview of the possible methods of installation for the operate arrangement that you plan to install. See the specific operating system department for far details .
CD-ROM or DVD
This method acting includes installing the operate system directly onto the server, using the server ‘s onboard DVD, a USB connected repel, and a VGA monitor attached the the system .
For more details on CD/DVD installation for your particular operate system, refer to the instructions included in your initiation software or the on-line documentation referenced in the specific operating organization chapters in this document .
Network Installation (PXE/Jumpstart/RIS)
This method includes setting up an initiation on a host server, and then installing the operational system over the network. Network initiation methods include AutoYast for SUS, Kickstart for RedHat, Jumpstart for Solaris, and Remote Installation Services ( RIS ) for Windows .
For more details on network facility for your specific operational system, refer to the instructions included in your facility software or the on-line documentation referenced in the specific operating system chapters in this document .
due to missing network interface tease ( NIC ) drivers in some manoeuver systems, the following is recommended for net installations :
- Solaris – Use the Broadcom NICs connectors labelled 0 and 1
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux – Use the Broadcom NIC connectors labelled 0 and 1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server – Use either NVIDIA NIC connector labelled 2
- Windows – Any of the Broadcom or NVIDIA NIC connectors.
For specific instructions on RIS facility for the Sun Fire X2100 M2 server, see Appendix B .
Remote KVMS Over IP With Virtual CD-ROM
This method includes using a outback network system to install the operate on system onto the Sun Fire X2100 M2 server. The cadmium or DVD drive of the distant system ( virtual cdrom ) is used to access the operational system media and all output of the Sun Fire X2100 M2 waiter is displayed on the distant system ( outback console ). specific details on the using keyboard, shiner, video, repositing ( KMVS ) over IP in the Embedded Lights Out Manager ( LOM ) can be found in the Embedded Lights Out Manager Administration Guide, 819-6588 .
For more details on outside KVMS over IP facility, refer to the Embedded Lights Out Manager Administration Guide or to the instructions included in your installation software or the specific operate system chapters in this document .
|Note – This routine assumes that you are familiar with the Embedded LOM WebGUI government. More information can be found in the Embedded Lights Out Manager Administration Guide, 819-6588 .|
Requirements for Remote KMVS Over IP installation admit :
- Remote system connected to the network
- One of the following browsers on the remote system: Internet Explorer, Mozilla, or Firefox
- CD/DVD drive connected to the remote system
- Media for installing the operating system of your choice
- SP of the Sun Fire X2100 M2 server set up as instructed in the Sun Fire X2100 M2 Server Installation Guide, 819-6589.
1. On a outside system, open a browser and type the IP address of the Embedded LOM serve central processing unit for the Sun Fire X2100 M2 server on which you want to install the operate on system .
2. Enter your user name and password at the login sieve .
3. In the main Embedded LOM window, click establish to open a remote control console table window .
4. Insert the engage System CD/DVD to be installed on the Sun Fire X2100 M2 server into the local CD/DVD tug .
5. In the outback console window, blue-ribbon Storage – > Mount devices .
The Device Configuration windows appears .
6. In the repositing 1 Source plain, from the drop down arrow menu, select the DVD/CD drive to be used for installing the operate system .
7. Click Submit .
8. Configure the BIOS to boot from the distant ( virtual ) CDROM .
a. Go to the Embedded LOM main page, and select Control – > Power Control – > Reset .
The Sun Fire X2100 M2 system will be restarted and you can view the POST work from the Remote Console screen .
b. As the system is restarting, go back to the Remote Console screen and wardrobe F2 when the Sun Microsystems splash blind appears .
The BIOS apparatus utility displays .
c. Select Boot – > Boot Device priority and change the beginning kick driver to Virtual CD/DVD .
|Note – Make certain that the hard harrow is inactive listed in the boot orderliness .|
d. Press F10 to save your changes and exit the BIOS .
immediately when the server is rebooted, it will boot from the virtual CDROM. The instructions for installing the engage system will be the precisely same as the instructions for using a local anesthetic CD/DVD drive and monitor .
|Note – After the OS is installed, remember to change rear to the local CD-ROM in the BIOS if you want to use a candle or DVD device installed or connected to your system .|
This method includes directing the waiter output signal to a terminal over the serial larboard.
For detail instructions for early operating systems, refer to the facility instructions for your function system or specific operating system chapters in this document .
Copyright © 2006, Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved .