[Case] I want to install Windows 10 on a new SSD
I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 OS on a newfangled ssd and make this the kick driveway. I would like to keep the honest-to-god WD 1T hard drive as a storehouse drive. What is the best/easiest procedure for extracting the old windows 10 oxygen from the old hard drive. I ‘m not sure that I know how to by rights identify the OS files .
– question from Microsoft.com
Should I install Windows 10 to SSD?
It is credibly common cognition nowadays that SSDs ( short for solid-state harrow ) can be better boot drives than HDDs. To be particular, an SSD is based on NAND flash memory engineering and uses integrated circuit assemblies to store data persistently. It does n’t track down information by forcible spinning disk & movable read–write head, and therefore has quicker access time, lower latency, less make noise, etc. compared with HDD.
due to these benefits, many users would like to upgrade honest-to-god system magnetic disk to SSD, or install OS on a newfangled SSD to make the computer boot up faster, and runs smoothly even with multiple programs in the background .
so, how to install Windows onto SSD ? There are normally two ways : one is to clean install Windows 10 using an installation phonograph record, and another is to clone Windows 10 to SSD via dependable harrow cloning software. For more details and specific approaches, please keep reading .
Preparations before installing Windows 10 on new SSD
How to replace heavily drive with SSD and install Windows on it ? This may be a doubt for many users. Therefore, I ‘m here to introduce all the preparations need to be done, and then walk you through every detail steps to install OS on a modern SSD .
- Ensure the security of your data and system. To do fresh or clean install, it ‘s better to backup files that are important to you, because personal data on the old heavily drive will be removed during the procedure. To prevent unexpected system failures, you could backup the system angstrom well, this is particularly crucial for a novitiate .
- Initialize and format SSD for Windows 10 install. In general, a harrow without initializing can not be used normally. And, you may receive error message like “ You need to format the phonograph record before you can use it ” .
- Prepare a SATA-to-USB adapter or encloser to connect SSD if you are using a laptop or your calculator only has one slot. If you need to swap hard drive of Windows 10, please prepare a well-matched screwdrivers .
- Put a diet on old drive ( * if you want to migrate Windows 10 from old HDD to fresh SSD ). As known, SSDs are generally smaller than HDDs at the same price, so it ‘s recommended to free up quad on HDD by deleting the backed up personal data, removing useless files with Disk Cleanup, uninstalling useless programs, etc .
Method 1. How to reinstall Windows 10 on SSD using installation disc
A clean install gives you a stigmatize new operating system good like the calculator you first started – it only has all the bloatware installed by manufacturer. And the procedure will remove the current Windows engage system and drug user files during the installation .
Besides, all the personal data on the organization hard disk will be wiped out. You can backup Windows 10 to USB tug or external hard driveway in advance. This method requires a cadmium or USB drive to boot a computer. If you want to install Windows 10 on SSD without CD or USB or keep your data and programs entire, you can refer to Method 2 to move Windows 10 from HDD to SSD .
The most common situations for cleaning install Windows 10 on SSD :
- Want to replace Windows 10 hard drive with unplayful problems and install Windows 10 from USB or CD/DVD .
- Want to wipe the SSD and perform a clean installation .
To clean install Windows 10 on SSD from USB, follow the steps below :
1. Create a newfangled and chastise facility media for Windows 10 .
Download Windows 10 Media Creation cock, start it up, then select “ Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC ” option and follow the charming to create installation media .
2. Install the SSD and connect the Windows 10 installation media.
After creating Windows 10 initiation media, shut down your computer to replace the old hard drive with the new SSD. If your computer has extra slot, you can besides keep the previous drive ( as the second storage afterwards ), and connect the SSD alongside it .
3. Set the installation media as the first boot option.
Start your computer and wardrobe a specified samara ( normally F2 or F12 ) to boot into BIOS, then go to the Boot ab and use “ + “ to move CD/DVD to the foremost choice, then press “ F10 “ or “ Enter ” to exit this window and resume from the facility harrow .
4. Click “ Install Now “ in the initial Windows Setup shield .
5. Type your product key ( digital license ) or skip it .
6. choice initiation type ” Custom “. The first option “ Upgrade ” is used to upgrade from a lower interpretation of Windows .
7. To partition SSD for Windows 10 install, suction stop Delete or Format, and then create a partition with New option. then, select the new partition on SSD disk and snap Next. Wait until the serve ends and set preferences as you like .
Note: Whether you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1 or do a clean install on a brand new SSD, you have to buy the product key to activate Windows. If your SSD has installed Windows 10 already, you can skip to adjacent mistreat, Windows 10 will get activated after clean installation .
Method 2. How to install Windows 10 on SSD from HDD without CD or USB
Fresh install Windows 10 will erase all your data on the computer. Besides, it is time-consuming and troublesome. If you prefer an easier way to add newly SSD to Windows 10 without candle or USB drive and keep all your data intact, you could use a dependable third-party software – AOMEI Backupper Professional .
It’s all-in-one SSD clone software for Windows 7/8/10/11, which contains “ Disk Clone ”, “ System Clone ” and “ Partition Clone ” options to meet the needs of unlike users.
Read more : Urdu Keyboard: How to Install and Type in Urdu
- The “ Disk Clone “ feature of speech allows you to clone entire hard drive to SSD, even for newfangled hard drive with a different partition style, clone MBR disk to GPT, for exemplar .
- The “ System Clone “ feature allows you to clone merely C drive to SSD without efforts, which is specially utilitarian if you want to migrate Windows 10 to smaller SSD .
- The software is running in “ Intelligent Clone “ manner by default, which will merely clone the use sectors to save space. optionally, you can besides create an entire copy with sector-by-sector modality .
- You can tick the “ SSD Alignment “ option to accelerate the write and reading speed of prey SSD .
- You can use it to clone all kinds of HDDs and SSDs, careless of disk brands, magnetic disk size or interface .
Preparations for migrating OS to SSD in Windows 10:
✎ Insert your SSD into the drive bay and make sure it can be detected. If there is no supernumerary room inside the laptop to install more disks, you may need to install SSD via a SATA-to-USB adapter. If you have neither a second drive bay nor a SATA-to-USB adapter, you can use “ System Backup ” feature to create a system image, and then restore it to the SSD.
✎ Install and launching AOMEI Backupper. You could find the release test below.
✎ The cloning march will overwrite everything on the target SSD, so if you ‘ve stored any important data on it, make a backup first .
Download Free Trial
To install Windows 10 on SSD without CD/DVD, use the succeed steps :
1. Click “ Clone”, then select “ System Clone “ in the main page. To clone entire phonograph record, click “ Disk Clone ” rather .
2. merely select the SSD as the newly localization, and then click “ future ” to continue. Because the program is designed to automatically select system partition and bang refer partitions for you .
3. Confirm the operations, tick “ SSD Alignment “ to speed up the performance of SSD and click “ Start Clone “ to install Windows 10 on SSD without removing HDD .
Tips ✎ …
• “ Sector by Sector clone “ is only suitable for target magnetic disk of the same size or larger than source phonograph record.
• After cloning alone OS to SSD, you can keep the old magnetic disk as a second storage, or remove and discard it. To avoid data escape, it ‘s suggested to wipe system partition, or clean a hard drive in Windows 10 wholly.
• If you want to install SSD on inexhaustible PCs within one company, you can use AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the aid of AOMEI Image Deploy, you can deploy OS to multiple computers simultaneously. You can besides create portable AOMEI Backupper to run system ringer on any calculator .
Boot from the new SSD
After the system clone finishes, shut down the calculator. And then disconnect the source phonograph record and connect the destination phonograph record to the socket of the source harrow. The source phonograph record could be plugged into another socket as a secondary storehouse device .
future, restart your computer, and press a specific key to enter BIOS when you see a message like “ Press ESC to enter BIOS ”. Go to the Boot tab and change the beginning boot option to modern SSD. At last iron “ F10 ” to save changes and boot your computer .
Quick fixes: can’t install Windows 10 on SSD
sometimes, you will receive error messages like “ Windows can not be installed to this harrow. The choose disk is of the GPT partition style ”, “ Windows can not be installed to this phonograph record. The computer ‘s hardware may not support booting to this magnetic disk ” when you reinstall SSD in laptop or background Windows 10 using installation media. Why ca n’t I install Windows 10 on SSD ? How to solve it ?
For the first error, it may be caused by a wrong kick modality. Your computer only supports Legacy BIOS quite than both Legacy and UEFI boot, and the traditional BIOS can merely boot from MBR disk, so you can only install Windows 10 on a second hard drive with MBR. To resolve it, you could consider converting GPT to MBR before running Windows initiation .
For the second mistake, there are two potential reasons. First, your computer has hard harrow protection enabled. Second, the SATA Controller manner was set incorrectly. To fix this problem, you need to read the specification and confirm if the problem is caused by hard disk protection. If so, please remove it. If not, please change the restrainer modality in BIOS. If your BIOS shows AHCI, fair change it to IDE .
Further reading: how to install Windows 11 on SSD
As Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 11 is launching on October 5, some Windows patriotic users and technophiles may want to install Windows 11 to explore the newly, potent features brought by Windows 11. The new features include easy-to-use tools to help optimize your screen distance, a taskbar embedded with Chat and calling, and Microsoft Store allowing Android apps from the Amazon App Store to be used, etc .
> > Follow this guidebook to install Windows 11 to SSD .
No topic which way you choose, clean houseclean or clone system with a dependable disk cloning software, you may already install Windows 10 on SSD successfully. If you encounter the Windows 10 not installing to SSD error, fix it with the given solutions and then install Windows again.
Read more : How to install Windows 10
If you want a clock and attempt saving method acting, select the second method acting. And it will keep all your data as it was. In addition, this software besides support “ Disk Clone ” and “ Partition Clone ” feature, so you can use it to clone SSD to larger SSD, knockoff hard drive to WD SSD, knockoff HDD to samsung SSD, replace ASUS laptop hard drive, etc .
It ‘s suggested to keep AOMEI Backupper installed on your computer, which can besides be regarded as accompaniment software to protect your personal data or arrangement with its comprehensive features, including, system backing, disk accompaniment, partition stand-in, and file backup. In addition, it allows you to enable daily/weekly/monthly and perform schedule automatic backup in Windows 10, consequence triigers, incremental and derived function stand-in, etc .
Download AOMEI Backupper, use it to upgrade hard force to SSD in Windows 10 and late protect your data and organization security .