Using VirtualBox we can safely test Windows 11 before we upgrade our work/daily calculator. Windows 11 requires a TPM 2.0 chip, which can prevent the initiation on VirtualBox. By making a small change in the register we can inactive install Win11 as a VM .
In this article, I am going to walk you through downloading the official Windows 11 ISO and the installation of VirtualBox and Windows 11 .
1. Download Windows 11 Official ISO
So the first mistreat is to download the official Windows 11 ISO from Microsoft. To download the ISO you will need to be a Windows Insider. If you are already one, then you can skip the first base step, otherwise, follow along to register yourself as a Windows insider.
Step 1 – Register for the Windows insider program
To register for the Windows Insider program you will need to have a Microsoft account ( the score that you use for Outlook, Microsoft Office / 365, etc ). If you sign up for the Windows Insider program then you get early access to the latest features and Windows Update .
head over to https : //insider.windows.com in chatter on Register .
Log in with your Microsoft account and accept the Program Agreement and chatter on Register Now. After the successful adjustment, you will be taken to the Windows Insider page .
Step 2 – Download the Windows 11 Official ISO
With the Insider adjustment completed, we can download the official ISO for Windows 11. The file size of the ISO file is about 5Gb .
- Navigate to Windows Insider Preview Downloads page
- Scroll all the way down, just below the grey box you will see Select Edition
- Select the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview (Beta Channel)
- Click Confirm
- Select the desired language and click Confirm
- You will now see a download link that is only valid for 24 hours
- Click on 64-bit Download
2. Install VirtualBox
While the ISO file is downloading we can continue with installing VirtualBox and creating the virtual machine .
If you don ’ thyroxine already have it installed then you will need to download and install it. You can find the download here at virtualbox.org. Install the Virtualbox application with all the pre-selected features .
3. Create Virtual Machine for Windows 11
To install Windows 11 we will need to create a raw virtual machine in VirtualBox. I have created the virtual machine with minimal specifications. Depending on your use case you may want to give your VM more memory and disk space .
- Open VirtualBox Manager and click on New
- Give you VM a name
- Select a location to store the VM, make sure you have atleast 20Gb diskspace free
- Make sure type is set to Microsoft Windows
- Select Windows 11 (64-bit) as version
- Give the VM atleast 4096MB Memory (more is better, but keep some left you for computer self)
- Click on Create
next, you will need to create the Virtual Hard Disk. The requirements for Windows 11 are 64Gb disk space, but my VM merely uses 11Gb at the consequence. So you can start with a humble dynamically allocate phonograph record of 20Gb. You can constantly increase the phonograph record space belated when needed .
Change the magnetic disk size to your requirements and chatter on Create
The virtual machine is now created. Before we start it we need to change one setting, the number of vCPU ’ randomness. By default, the VM alone gets 1 vCPU, which is not much. To improve the operation of your VM you should increase it to at least two .
Assigning vCPU ’ mhoAssign no more then N-1 vCPU’s to your VM where N = the number of physical core on your computer. This way you keep one core free for your host, in the event that your VM locks up or use all your cores.
- Select your VM on the left side
- Click on Settings in top bar
- Select System > Processor
- Change the Processor(s) to atleast two
- Click Ok
4. Install Windows 11 in VirtualBox
We are nowadays quick to start our raw virtual machine and install Windows 11. In VirtualBox snap on Start to start your raw VM. VirtualBox will prompt you for a start-up disk .
- Click on the folder icon to select the Windows 11 ISO file
- Add the Win 11 ISO file to the Optical Disks Click on Add to select the Windows 11 ISO file that we downloaded
Select the file and snap on Choose
- Start the VM Click on Start to start the VM with the Win 11 ISO disk
- Open Command Prompt When you see the Blue Windows Setup sieve press Shift + F10
This will open a command prompt
- Create registry keys 1. In the instruction prompt, type regedit and press accede.
2. voyage to the play along path in the register : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
3. Right-click and create a new key : LabConfig
4. Open the key LabConfig and create the DWORD 32bit values below. Set the data to 1 for each value.
Close the register editor and close the command prompt
- Start the Windows 11 installation Select the language that you want to install and click Next.
On the future screen, pawl Install Now
Read more : VOLVO VIDA 2014D + Patch + Instructions
- Product key Simply pawl “ I don ’ t have a product key ”
- Choose the version to install You can choose which adaptation of Windows 11 you want to install. Just pluck Windows 11 Pro and chatter Next
- Installation type Accept the user agreement and snap Custom: Install Windows only on the future riddle.
- Select the disk The final step is to select the harrow to install Windows 11 on. Windows 11 will immediately be installed in your VirtualBox.
- Windows 11 finalization The VM will reboot after the initiation, starting Windows 11 for the first time. Just like with Windows 10 you will need to go through a charming to finalize your Windows 11 facility.
During the frame-up charming, you will get the option to sign in with your Microsoft report. Make certain you use the like report as that you used to sign up for Windows Insider
5. Install VirtualBox Guest Additions in Windows 11
After the facility is finished we need to do a couple of things to make working with the VirtualBox more convenient .
- Installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions
- Make the clipboard bi-directional (allowing your to copy/past between host and VM)
- Enabling bi-directional Drag and Drop.
I nstalling the VirtualBox Guest Additions
To install the VirtualBox Guest Additions we can mount a virtual candle .
- In VirtualBox click on Devices
- Select Insert Guest Additions CD image
- Open the Explorer in Windows 11
- Select and open the CD Drive (D:)
- Start the VBoxWindowsAdditions application
- Click Yes on the User Account Control warning
- The installation may minimize to the taskbar, open from the taskbar again if necassary
- Install the Guest Additions (just click next, install)
- Select I want to manually reboot later
VirtualBox Clipboard and Drag and Drop settings
Before we reboot the Windows 11 VM we first change the clipboard and scuff and fell settings .
- Again click on Devices
- Choose Shared Clipboard and select Bidirectional
- Do the same for Drag and Drop, also under Devices
- Restart your Windows 11 machine
In VirtualBox, you can safely test out Windows 11. If you give the virtual machine adequate memory, harrow space, and CPU ’ s then you can besides install the programs that you use on it to see if they work .
If you have any questions, just drop a comment below .
Read more : Why You Can’t Install Programs Windows 10